1. Create a dedicated workspace. Just as in a typical office space, create a dedicated office space. Depending on the type of work you do it may be a standalone desk or table, with access to internet and/or phone. Consider if you need doors, a filing cabinet that locks, and/or other things to do your work. It can be tempting to spread everything out, but boundaries in remote work arrangements helps you to create balance. Consider what space will be dedicated to working, and what you want to put away at the end of the day.
2. Set regular office hours, and break times too. Just as in any office, it's important to set regular office hours, and break times. We can only be productive for so long, so build in breaks as well as a start and an end. You may find that without the commute, you can start even earlier, and end earlier in the day, or perhaps you want to fit in a swim (as I do) or workout at lunchtime, to clear the cobwebs and create space for thinking.
3. Consider what pieces of work are done best remote, and what you will need to be able to access. It's important to have everything at hand in order to do your work. What needs to be accessible remotely on Dropbox, via a VPN or other? How will you keep documents secure?
4. If you are working remote for long periods of time, consider how you will stay connected with the office. It's important to stay connected with the office when you work remote. Consider how you can integrate face to face time and/or video skype calls with your team members and boss. Just because you are not physically there doesn't mean you aren't part of the team.
5. Be proactive in communication with your team and your boss. As in this last point, consider how you can best stay connected with your boss and the team. What updates are important to provide, what meetings do you want to schedule You may find that you are more intentional and deliberative in your communication. this might actually set a nice precedent for others in the office as well!
What other tips do you have for working remote?
Have a great week,
Potentials Realized | Coaching Team Leaders
Coaching Skills Training | Leadership Development | Teamwork
Growing Team Leaders, One Conversation at a Time(TM)
Contact us to discuss coaching or performance needs for your and your team