What readers enjoy is the consistent daily focus on an area of importance for their work.
One area I wanted to pull from today is one of our most important relationships when working virtually, which is working with a mentor.
Here’s what I shared about working with a mentor:
At all stages of our careers, mentoring is an important activity for remote work success. Mentors are able to provide a birds-eye view of their work, usually via their stories. This is critical for remote work, as we know that the best remote workers have seen best practices modeled by others. Historically, mentoring has involved the more junior person being mentored by a senior person.
Today reverse mentoring is becoming even more popular and focuses on having the mentee or protégé also sharing their insights. Mentoring is a reciprocal relationship, with both parties receiving some value from the relationship.
Working with a mentor can have multiple benefits, including:
• Helping you understand the unspoken currents in an industry or organization.
• Helping you diplomatically navigate the hidden political currents in an organization or industry.
• Helping you navigate through opportunities.
• Helping you focus and explore alternative angles around current challenges.
• Bringing a historical piece of the puzzle.
• Benefiting from someone else’s experience.
• Shedding light on trends and what is happening “under the waterline” of work.
• Opening the door to new ideas, resources, and/or networks.
• Receiving insights/perspectives from someone who has been there already.
Given how fast the business context is changing today, one note of caution: It can be valuable not to compare your experience to anyone else’s. Mentoring provides you with the mentor’s perspective; and their truth, perspectives, and experience may be very different from yours.
(Excerpt: 90-Day Guide for Success, Britton, ©2021, All Rights Reserved)
Consider who you would like to have as a mentor as you move forward with your work right now. Even seasoned professionals can benefit from a mentoring relationship!
Enjoy the conversation!
Potentials Realized |Reconnecting Workspaces | Group Coaching Essentials
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats
Follow us on Instagram @ReconnectingWorkspaces
Check out my TEDx talk
Looking to bring your workplaces back together, whether you are remote, hybrid, or face-to-face? Pick up a copy of my new book, Reconnecting Workspaces, at Amazon.