He defines teams as "collections of individuals with different skill sets working together to achieve goals that require members to collaboratively apply their different skills: (pp. 16).
In his article he outlines the following five team motivation strategies :
1. Foster mutual respect for the expertise of team members
2. Help weaker team members believe that their effort is vital to team success
3. Support a shared belief thin the cooperative capabilities in the team
4. Hold individual team members accountable for their contributions to the team effort
5. Direct the team's cooperative spirit outside the team and the organization" (Clark, 2005, pp 14)
Consider each of these five in turn. What approaches do you use to foster each one?
In his article Claark also writes "the confidence team members have in each other's expertise is the only facotr that accounts for their success in high pressure situations" (pp. 15
Recently I have been writing about the importance of trust and connection. These create the foundation for confidence among team members. What do you notice about the confidence of your team members with each other's expertise? What can you do to support them knowing this even better?
As you move forward, what's important to consider around team motivation?
Potentials Realized | Coaching Team Leaders
Coaching Skills Training | Leadership Development | Teamwork
Growing Team Leaders, One Conversation at a Time(TM)
Contact us to discuss coaching or performance needs for your and your team