Here's a list of potential sources of conflict in matrix teams include:
* Conflict between local level priorities and global or project priorities
* Conflict between direction and style of local leader and matrix leader
* Style conflict
* Potential conflict on multiple levels around communication styles - direct versus indirect communication - (refer to Geert Hofstede's Culture scales)
* Conflict created by working across multiple time zones which can impact meeting times, and perceived facoritism
* Conflict around resourcing (perceived and real)
* Conflict around team membership - my "local" team and my "project" team
* Conflict around team culture - how things are done on different teams and what's acceptable and not
These are just a small representation of potential conflicts created in the matrix environment. What is important is to equip team members with enhanced skills in working across differences and recognizing your impact with others.
What do you see as possible conflicts which could emerge in your matrix work?
Potentials Realized | Mentor RoadMap(TM)
Looking to spark more conversation with your team? Consider the Conversation Sparker(TM) Cards
Set up a conversation about how we can support you and your team best