Several ways to work effectively across the differences which can exist on virtual teams include:
- Find the similarities which do exist – What is the common ground?
- When you feel you are polar opposite consider the 2% that is similar or in common.
- Get to know each other – strengths, roles, preferences etc. This can take additional time and building relationships together are very important for virtual team success.
- Approach each other as individuals and as unique. Watch for, and avoid, stereotypes.
- Check in around your assumptions – are they correct? What different assumptions are being held by different team members? How clear are expectations.
- Try to create opportunities to be together even if is only once a year
- Use face to face time as much as you can even if it is via skype.
Have a great start to your week,
Jennifer Britton, MES, CPT, PCC
Potentials Realized | CoachingTeamLeaders.com
Author of From One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching (Jossey-Bass, 2013) and Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2010)
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats
Everything DiSC® Authorized Partner
Contact us and let us know how we can support you in helping your team reach its' full potential: (416)996-TEAM (8326)