Key considerations with the skill of influence include :
- Being a great listener and knowing what is important to others (team members, stakeholders, your boss, etc)
- Knowing your people and their preferences
- Being sensitive to others' "What's In It for Me" (WIIFM)
- Skills in tactful communication - being able to diplomatically and sensitively communicate alternative points of view.
- The ability to build trust and rapport quickly. Without this foundation of trust, the skill of influence is moot.
- Understanding political currents and the nuances of groups/teams/organizations
Where is the skill of influence important to you?
As you reflect on some of the items above, how strong are you in each of these? Which ones could use further development?
Jennifer Britton, MES, CPT, PCC
Author of From One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching(Jossey-Bass, 2013) and Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2010)
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats
Everything DiSC® Authorized Partner
Contact us and let us know how we can support you in helping your team reach its' full potential: (416)996-TEAM (8326)