“2020 is likely to be remembered in the history books as the year of disruption. While the year may have started out with a strong focus on what would be possible in the new decade, the global pandemic influenced professionals and businesses alike. As it relates to the global workforce, approximately 3 Billion professionals were working from home at one stage of the pandemic.
This global experience of the reaction to a massive disruption that most in our generation have not experienced, can lay clues for how we approach change, disruption and innovation.
What were your key learnings around this?
In navigating disruption and change some of the lessons learned from this recent pandemic has been:
- Focusing on what’s important at the core of your business
- Considering how and what it can look like in a “new normal”
- Being clear on your business values and philosophies which will remain the same even if the context or processes change.
- Having a strong business vision – Keeping an eye on your vision can help to ground you when the waters around you are turbulent. As I have been sharing this year -when we move our eyes to the horizon (which is where our vision resides), it is different than if we have our eyes on the foreground
- Considering whether you are a disruptor yourself as a business or responding to disruption
This Fast Company article, Navigating Disruption: A Roadmap for Leaders, by Grant Thornton, highlights seven areas you will want to explore:
#1 - Watch for early indicators
#2 - Adopt a broad view
#3 - Take inventory
#4 - Build bridges not silos
#5 - Become more diverse
#6 - Be curious
#7 - Know Thyself
Identify the disruptions you are facing in your work right now. What are you doing around the seven areas Thornton highlights?
Also consider these questions:
- What’s helping you navigate?
- What’s getting in the way?
- Who else (mentors, peers) can support you in exploring alternative strategies?
What’s going to support you in being more fluid with change?
Potentials Realized |Reconnecting Workspaces | Group Coaching Essentials
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats
Follow us on Instagram @ReconnectingWorkspaces
Check out my TEDx talk
Looking to bring your workplaces back together, whether you are remote, hybrid, or face-to-face? Pick up a copy of my new book, Reconnecting Workspaces, at Amazon.