Today, I wanted to turn my attention to the skill of influence. Influence is a key skill set for team leaders given your liaison role between your team and your own leader. Future posts will focus on the skill of managing up, and influencing your boss.
Key considerations with the skill of influence include :
- Being a great listener and knowing what is important to others (team members, stakeholders, your boss, etc)
- Knowing your people and their preferences
- Being sensitive to others' "What's In It for Me" (WIIFM)
- Skills in tactful communication - being able to diplomatically and sensitively communicate alternative points of view.
- The ability to build trust and rapport quickly. Without this foundation of trust, the skill of influence is moot.
- Understanding political currents and the nuances of groups/teams/organizations
Where is the skill of influence important to you?
As you reflect on some of the items above, how strong are you in each of these? Which ones could use further development?
As we consider the Triad of Trust, Safety and Connection in Reconnecting Workspaces (link to Amazon) notice that they are surrounded by Respect and Influence. Influence is a critical skillset for the hybrid workspace as we are needing to work through others for success. What are you doing to consider this area in your work, and relationships right now?
Enjoy the conversation.
Potentials Realized |Reconnecting Workspaces | Group Coaching Essentials
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats
Follow us on Instagram @ReconnectingWorkspaces
Check out my TEDx talk
Looking to bring your workplaces back together, whether you are remote, hybrid, or face-to-face? Pick up a copy of my new book, Reconnecting Workspaces, at Amazon.