Let’s take a look back to Effective Virtual Conversations Tip #20, originally published in 2017 when I wrote:
Today's tip comes from my new book, Effective Virtual Conversations, page 331 where I write "In virtual teams, it is also imperative that we build capability in the skills of new team members".
While capacity development is critical in many teams today, it can be absolutely essential to high performance in virtual teams, given that people are working independently in many instances.
As a team leader, consider how you can be building capability within your team around:
Coaching Skills - particularly peer coaching skills
Business Acumen (as appropriate to the work you do)
For many remote team members, they are having to utilize these skills each and every day.
Just as onboarding of new team leaders is important, the onboarding of new team members can be just as critical. Some of the areas you will want to focus on in the onboarding process for new team members are:
- Team culture - who you are
- Who to Go to - Key resource people - other members of the team, internal resources, external stakeholders
- Reporting requirements - budget, resources, status updates
- Team meetings
- Understanding your role
- Key Goals, KPIs (Key Performance Indicators), and Corporate Priorities
- Goal Setting (whether you use a one-page plan or other)
- Feedback and Performance Management issues
- Expectations around:
- Surfacing important issues
- Availability (when you are on and when you are off)
- Quality and completion of tasks
- Navigating Conflict
- Work-life (again boundaries around when you are on and off)
- Collaboration with others on the team
- Meeting focus
What other issues are important for you to brief new team members on? How do you want to undertake your onboarding? Do you spend a day together onsite and/or virtually? Do you spend a few hours together several times during the first week or month? Let us know what you do to onboard new team members using the comments below.
Enjoy your weekend,
Potentials Realized |Reconnecting Workspaces | Group Coaching Essentials
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats
Follow us on Instagram @ReconnectingWorkspaces
Check out my TEDx talk
Looking to bring your workplaces back together, whether you are remote, hybrid, or face-to-face? Pick up a copy of my new book, Reconnecting Workspaces, at Amazon.