What do you notice about where you are involved as a team leader?
- Recruitment: identifying and hiring new team members. This may also involve job design.
- Orientation: the initial days and months of helping people get settled, learn about the corporate culture, and connecting them with others.
- Onboarding: defined here as the longer process of getting people settled. It is often said that the first 90 days of a new employee are critical.
- Ongoing training and development.
- Coaching and mentoring.
- Performance management.
Subsequent chapters of Reconnecting Workspaces address different parts of the talent management cycle, including onboarding, coaching and mentoring, and performance management.
ATD, the Association for Talent Development, defines talent management as “a holistic approach to optimizing human capital, which enables an organization to drive short- and long-term results by building culture, engagement, capability and capacity through integrated talent acquisition, development and deployment processes that are aligned to business goals.”159
For ATD, talent management is wider than this talent cycle. It also includes succession planning, or who is going to step next into certain roles. This may be wider than leadership roles.
Talent management also focuses on key team functions:
• Retention: keeping key employees
• Organizational Development
• Rewards and Recognition
• Employee Engagement
• Coaching and Mentoring
• Performance Support
• Career Development
In essence, talent management is about creating an enabling environment for your team and focusing on capacity development and strengthening individual team members. It is also about building engagement, capacity, capability, and culture.
Enjoy the conversation!
Potentials Realized |Reconnecting Workspaces | Group Coaching Essentials
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats
Follow us on Instagram @ReconnectingWorkspaces
Check out my TEDx talk
Looking to bring your workplaces back together, whether you are remote, hybrid, or face-to-face? Pick up a copy of my new book, Reconnecting Workspaces, at Amazon.