One of my current writing projects is the Daily Remote Guide. Recently we explored some of the pitfalls to remote work including:
- Different types of social Interaction than what we experienced in the in-person space - While we can’t meet at the water cooler, what is the virtual watercooler you have access to?
- Visibility - Several recent studies have found that many younger professionals are concerned about their visibility during this session. Out of Sight Does Not Mean Out of Mind. If you are concerned that no one knows what you do, consider how you can create more opportunities for sharing across the team?
- Many items get magnified - From glitches to where there are gaps, consider how things get magnified in the remote space.
- Collaboration - As I like to say, “no person is an island”. What’s going to help you collaborate across distance and space?
- Myths - Many of the myths around remote work have been busted in recent months. From previous myths such as “if people work from home they will just sit around in pajamas” to “we really can’t connect virtually”. What are the myths which exist in your organization or industry? What’s going to help to dispel them?
What is going to support you?