One of the most important areas I ‘ve seen for teams that thrive in complex and uncertain times is adopting an experimental mindset. This is a topic I wrote about a few years ago in Teams365 #1597 which I thought would be good to return to in today’s Flashback Friday. In fact, at the Remote Pathways Community, we’ve had Experimentation as our Quarterly Theme for 2020. What have you done this quarter to incorporate more experimentation?
Here’s what I wrote in Teams365 #1597:
This month we are exploring the skills required in teamwork, including listening and curiosity. Today I wanted to take a dive into a third skill area, that being the area of experimentation.
Experimentation is key for business leaders and teams today. Many times, the context is changing so quickly that we don’t have time to complete an entire roll-out before having to make a final decision. That can lead to a mindset of experimentation, where it is encouraged to try things out, see what works and what doesn’t.
In supporting experimentation in our team we want to:
- Encourage and reward trial and error
- Create safety around not getting “things right”
- Provide team members with time and resources to experiment, beyond their everyday team responsibilities
- Facilitate an evaluation of projects or “experiments” that are completed or are even at the midpoint
Questions we may ask at project reviews include:
- What’s working?
- What’s not?
- What are the things that need to be abandoned or tweaked?
- What additional resources do we need?
- What unknown obstacles have become visible?
- What is the big learning we are taking?
- What is the one thing/ or the many things we are going to do differently going forward?
- Who else can we learn from (including our own past projects?
What are you going to do to create more of a focus around experimentation?
Have a great weekend!
Potentials Realized | Coaching Team Leaders
Coaching Skills Training | Leadership Development | Teamwork
Growing Team Leaders, One Conversation at a Time™ in the Remote Space
Contact us to discuss leadership, coaching or performance needs for your and your team
Check out our Digital Resources to support you in your work and conversations