Check out the original 2017 post here.
Here’s what I wrote:
In today's business context many teams are moving to a mobile, distributed or remote work force. Whether it's because the talent pool is dispersed, or commute times are pressurizing employees, remote work can be as effective or more so, when virtual teams are set up for success. Today's post explores six things new virtual teams need in order to thrive. These elements include:
- Clarity regarding reporting relationships. Who are they to report to on what issues? When is reporting required? If matrix reporting relationships exist, what do they report to whom? What issues need to be co-reported?
- Clarity regarding expectations regarding working – hours, approaches, breaks, how to log and share work etc.
- The technology and ability to connect with others in the team and across the organization. Working remote can be a lonely endeavor and just as social time is important for face-to -ace teams, so is face-to-face for virtual team.
- Regular check ins and feedback. Regular check-ins and feedback may revolve around the questions:
- How’s it going?
- What’s working? What’s not?
- What support do you need?
- What are your current priorities?
- What resources do you need in order to get the results you need?
- Platforms so they can see each other and connect with their team. This could include regular virtual potlucks where the team actually connects for a meal from each of their locations. It could also include face-to-face time – quarterly or on a regular basis.
- Clarity regarding how to flag issues - what issues to raise and when. Who should they be flagging issues to? When is the team leader available and how?
What other elements do you see as essential for new virtual teams to hit the ground running?
What’s important for your team to focus on, or take action on right now?
Have a great weekend,
Potentials Realized | Coaching Team Leaders | Remote Pathways Podcast
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Writing
As we step into the start of the year, get your planning on with the PlanDoTrack Workbook and Planner or Coaching Business Builder
Looking to enhance your virtual conversations? Webinars? Pick up a copy of Effective Virtual Conversations at Amazon.
Winter 2019 programs start this week including the Coaching Biz Growth Lab (an annual focus on coaching business development), GroupCoachingEssentials (8.75 CCEs), the Advanced Group and Team Coaching Practicum (10 CCEs) and the Virtual Facilitation Essentials program (8.5 CCEs) - geared to support you in creating more exceptional virtual conversations. Finally the Mentor Coaching Group for Winter 2020 will begin - aimed at coaches who are working towards their ACC, PCC or renewing.