PS - Tip #18 – What doesn’t get scheduled, doesn’t get done
“The whole point of getting things done is knowing what to leave undone.”- Oswald Chambers
Scheduling and tracking are key parts of business productivity. Time management in a virtual business includes:
- Discernment – Knowing what is, and what is not important. In the big picture, in the immediate. For you. For the business.
- Prioritizing – Being clear on your Top 3-5 activities. Today, this month, this quarter.
- Scheduling it in- Making sure the big tasks and smaller tasks are scheduled in, particularly those things which are important to you and the business (review time, planning time, renewal time, maintenance, systems etc). Some research has also started pointing to the need for significant enough blocks of time being required to help you focus. For some this may be 90 minutes, others 3 hours.
- Saying NO - tactfully! Given that we are usually operating in isolation, negotiation skills are key. Being able to say “I can help you with this, however, that may not be feasible…”, being able to delegate, defer or even say no, are all key skills. It’s not surprising that training I deliver on Communicating and Negotiating for Impact is popular!
- Being ruthless with your time. Time is non-renewable. How do you choose to spend it?
Consider the questions listed above. What do you notice about Discernment? Priorities, Scheduling, saying no, being ruthless with time. What is important for you in staying the course?
Take 15 minutes to make sure your schedule is up to date and includes time for the important activities in the short, medium and long term.
Add an additional 10% of time to projects or tasks which are not yet visible but need to get done.
Consider what your line in the sand is around tasks and new requests. Are you operating at 100%? If you had a new request come in, what would you do? How could you defer other tasks?
- What your successes have been?
- Where your focus has been?
- What products or services have you been focusing on offering?
- What projects, tasks or activities are important to schedule this month?
- What is your line in the sand around what more you can take on?
- What are the Top 3-5 priorities for you today? This week? This month? This quarter?
PS - If you have enjoyed these tips, do be sure to check out the new on-demand, video based course I have created around these. The program can be taken at your own pace, You can stretch the tips out daily, weekly or monthly. Join me this year for bi-weekly calls as part of your registration. Cost: $129 US. Learn more and register here.
Leadership | Teamwork | Business Success
Author of multiple books including Effective Virtual Conversations (2017), Coaching Business Builder (2018) and From One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching (2013)
Follow along with the #90DaysPlanDoTrack series over at Instagram @CoachingBizBuilder
Now available – PlanDoTrack Workbook and Planner - Order a copy today on Amazon
Join the conversation at the Conversation Sparker Zone - our online community where you can explore virtual and team issues, coaching, productivity and business development).