“No person is an island.” – Old Adage (in more gender inclusive language!)
As solopreneurs (one-person businesses), it can feel like we are always on our own. Relationships play a critical role in growing and maintaining a successful coaching business. Whether we are building relationships with new clients or alumni, peers, joint venture partners or coaches we can co-coach with, and partner organizations, relationship building is critical for success.
This tip gets you to think about building relationships – who you interface with regularly, who you’d like to connect with, and who are your connectors. [Connectors are individuals who are connected with those you want to reach. They can be a valuable link to your target market and/or other partners).
A first step in building relationships is to consider what you have to offer to others.
What are the skills, strengths and talents you bring to the table? What do you have to offer others?
As a second step, consider who you want to connect with and who is in your network.
How can you support others in their work? How can you support others to achieve their mandate and vision?
An ongoing focus on building solid relationships with a variety of others is important across the entire life cycle of a business.
- Map out 20 people in your network. Write out their names. Consider how you interface. What do you offer them? What do they offer you?
- What other people would be useful to have in your network? Consider financial, legal and administrative support. Collaborators.
- How do you support their work?
- How can others support you?
- What could collaboration look like?
- What key relationships are you able to lean into with your work?
- What do you have to offer others in terms of your skills, talents and strengths? How can you help them magnify what they do, and who they serve?
Leadership | Teamwork | Business Success
Author of multiple books including Effective Virtual Conversations (2017), Coaching Business Builder (2018) and From One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching (2013)
Follow along with the #90DaysPlanDoTrack series over at Instagram @CoachingBizBuilder
Now available – PlanDoTrack Workbook and Planner - Order a copy today on Amazon