“One look at an email can rob you of 15 minutes of focus. One call on your cell phone, one tweet, one instant message can destroy your schedule, forcing you to move meetings, or blow off really important things, like love, and friendship.” - Jacqueline Leo
The Front Blog has some provocative figures about 2018 email - They write that in the amount of time we spend checking email in a year, someone could climb Everest twice! Check out these statistics here!
Taming the inbox is an important part of efficiency in today’s work environment. Email is an essential communication vehicle, but it can disrupt our attention. Becoming more selective and more disciplined with email can go a long way in business success, especially in terms of getting more significant work completed (i.e. projects, new initiatives).
Consider these questions:
- How many emails do you get a day?
- How efficient are you at replying (i.e. how much time does it take to reply)?
- How does email disrupt your focus?
- Notice where your email comes from. What emails do you receive? Are there any you want to unsubscribe from?
- Dedicate time to cull your email OR simply archive older ones.
- Consider what filters could support your focus and less time spent on email.
- Streamline. Can any things be batched (i.e. daily summary instead of regular alerts)?
- Turn it off for periods of the day. The disruption an email ping can make could significantly dilute your focus. Would it be useful to establish “check points” during the day?
- Review the emails that you have received over the last two weeks.
- What do you notice?
- How many of them are still outstanding?
- How many are no longer applicable and could be culled by unsubscribing?
- How many could be funneled to their own form?
- What’s one tweak you could make to your inbox?
- When are you going to dedicate time for email review?
Leadership | Teamwork | Business Success
Author of multiple books including Effective Virtual Conversations (2017), Coaching Business Builder (2018) and From One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching (2013)
Follow along with the #90DaysPlanDoTrack series over at Instagram @CoachingBizBuilder
Now available – PlanDoTrack Workbook and Planner - Order a copy today on Amazon