In a virtual team it is really important to be clear on what the performance goals are, so everyone knows what they are aiming for, how things fit together, and what success looks like.
The danger in a virtual team when these things are not clear are:
- Lack of alignment
- Lack of understanding of how one goal fits with another
- Competing Priorities
- Differences in terms of quality of output, if end results are not clear
- Spending time clarifying goals, and what success measures are, are critical when team members do not see each other, and may be reporting to multiple matrix teams at any given time.
- What are your key goals?
- How do goals fit together?
- What does success look like around each one?
- What are the standards for work on this team?
- What are the minimums in terms of response time?
- What needs to be communicated, when?
- What are the best channels/appropriate ways to keep everyone updated with respect to their goals?
Potentials Realized | Effective Virtual Conversations | Coaching Team Leaders
Join Jennifer for a year-end virtual planning retreat in the PlanDoTrack Series!
YouTube – Teams365 Leadership Channel
Pre-order a copy of the PlanDoTrack Workbook and Planner for Virtual and Remote Professionals on Amazon (Available December 14). Check it out here.