As a facilitator in the virtual space it’s important to:
- Be strong on process
- Let people know what they can expect in terms of engagement in your calls
- It’s unlikely that most people will feel comfortable jumping in with a response – in fear that they may talk over someone else, or cut someone else off. With this in mind, let people know if you will be calling on people (perhaps in order) as you go. It is beneficial when you set this expectation upfront, rather than spring it on people.
- Letting people know where you are going, what you’ve covered and what agreements have been made
- Checking in regularly about what’s been covered and understanding across the group
- Utilizing a variety of approaches for engagement and bringing peoples voices and ideas into the room. This might include using breakouts, annotation, chat and/or polls
- Ensuring that you start and end on time
What else is going to make your virtual conversation effective this week?