Today’s post dives into a series of questions you’ll want to ask yourself, and your team, in three key spring areas. Whether you are a team leader, member or even business owner, this may be one of those posts that you want to highlight, and return back to
One on Ones
One on ones with your team are critical on a regular basis. Unfortunately they are also the things that usually get left at the bottom of the to-do-list. While each team leader will have their own frequency of holding these with team members, you do want to make them regularly consistent. Some of the questions you may want to incorporate into your upcoming one-on-ones are:
- What are your key priorities this quarter?
- What support do you need in order to be successful? (From me, from others on the team)?
- How frequently would you like us to connect?
- What’s going to help you stretch as a professional? What’s going to be the challenge for you this ?
- What are the partnerships or relationships which are going to help you be successful?
- What check ins will be useful (time, frequency, type) to see how things are going?
Projects large and small deserve a bit of post-mortem or debrief. Here are a selection of questions you may want to incorporate into your next project debrief.
- What worked well with that project?
- What were the three critical success factors (i.e. things that mad the project a success)
- What key lessons were learned?
- Which projects do they need to be carried forward into? Who else could benefit from hearing about these lessons learned?
- What needs to be avoided at all costs in future projects?
- What systems helped with teamwork, roles, tasks and resources?
If you haven't had the chance to undertake some planning, grab a pen and work through these questions. They are also ones you may want to share with your team:
- What are the top 3 -5 priorities this month?
- Who (or what relationships) is/are needed in order to make this a success?
- What’s the one habit that will help these projects?
- What might get in the way?
- Where are you getting the bulk of your results right now? How can you do more of this? What do you need to say no to?
- What can get delegated or deferred?
- What tasks are not adding value and need to be dumped?
Enjoy the questions. Share your favorite here in the comments!
Potentials Realized | Coaching Team Leaders
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats.
Follow us on Twitter @Teams365
Looking to enhance your virtual conversations - Conference calls? Webinars? Virtual coaching work? Pick up a copy of my new book, Effective Virtual Conversations, at Amazon.