In kickstarting your year, you will want to make sure that you are as specific with your goals as possible.
Did you know:
About 44% of American's will set goals for the year? (
92% of new years resolutions will fail by January 15th?
One of the most often goal setting studies quoted from Harvard, really did not take place at all?
Dominican university Dr. Matthews was able to replicate the same study and found that three factors helped with goal success:
and writing down one’s goals
Goals, along with writing them down, accountability (ongoing check points) and commiting to what you want to achieve are all foundational parts of the coaching process and strategies which myself, and other business coaches, use with our coaching clients.
View Dr. Matthew’s goals study report here and link through to the summary – https://www.dominican.edu/dominicannews/study-highlights-strategies-for-achieving-goals
As part of today’s Kickstart Your 2018 – 8 in 18, today’s focus and reflection questions get you to think about your goals, and more importantly getting more specific about them.
I hope that you will find 15 minutes to reflect on these questions and write them down. First, take a look back at Day 1 and Day 2, and what you have laid out as part of your vision:
1. What are top five goals for you in 2018? Write these down.
2. Looking at each one at a time consider how they can be made SMART-E – Specific, Measurable, Acheivable, Realistic, Timebound and, of course, exciting. Take a few more minutes to break them down further.
One of the tools I like to use to capture my goals is a One Page Plan. Click here to download a One Page Plan Template from my newest book, Effective Virtual Conversations, where I share 18 different templates for you to use in your own work.
3. Imagine the year overall, what will the way each goal connects with the others?
4. Map out your timeline or what the journey is going to look like for you. You might make it a roadmap, a stream or other….(See my 2018 roadmap)
5. What’s possible once you complete each goal?
6. What resources do you need to be successful with each goal? Consider – people, money, equipment, knowledge, etc.
7. What could get in the way?
8. What have you done in the past that you could leverage or apply so that you are successful?
9. What will you do to keep your goals visible? This could include writing them on a whiteboard, putting an alert on your phone, using an app. Check out Elise Morneau’s article on Best Goal Setting Apps, updated a few days ago at: https://www.lifewire.com/best-goal-setting-apps-3485941
10. What checkpoints will you use the review and check in around the goals. When will this happen? How will you celebrate? Write these checkpoints in your calendar before you go any further!
That’s our ten questions for today….if you have an extra minute, flip through what you’ve noted for yourself over the last three days. What, if any, trends are you noticing?
Enjoy day 3 of the new year!
A reminder of these two resources available to support you throughout 2018:
A couple of resources that are available to you in kickstarting your 2018. First, join our Get [ ] Done (you fill in the blank) list and receive a monthly planning template you can use in your own planning. Join the list here and download your first planning item – currently this month’s template of a Quarterly Plan.
Friday I am hosting the Kickstart Your 2018 Virtual Business Planning Retreat. It will run on Friday January 5th from 10 – 4 pm ET on zoom. Kickstarting the year requires focus and action, and my business planning retreats are geared to get you into action. Each hour has a different theme and includes some group time at the start of the hour, followed by individual activities undertaken offline. Hourly themes include:
· Creating or refining your 2018 Vision
· Exploring your ecosystem of strengths, capabilities and values
· Developing your 2018 Roadmap
· Taking action on a key project
The program costs $97 US and includes the six hours of structured activities, group calls and a retreat workbook. Click here to learn more about the day and reserve your spot.
Potentials Realized | Coaching Team Leaders
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats.
Follow us on Twitter @Teams365
Looking to enhance your virtual conversations - Conference calls? Webinars? Virtual coaching work? Pick up a copy of my new book, Effective Virtual Conversations, at Amazon.
Starting January 26th the Teams365 Leadership Lab - an annual group and resource portal for leaders. Join me for two live calls a month, and resources to support you in your work.