Today’s activity gets you working with your team to map out the different elements of their own matrix management relationships.
Time needed – 10 min plus discussion time (which may occur after the team activity with each matrix relationship)
Materials needed – Pen and piece of paper. Or screen and file
Have people think about the different reporting relationships or teams that they are part of. On their piece of paper have them sketch out who those teams are – names of leader, team members and what the team or entity is called (i.e. Local level team and Hq)
Once each person has laid it out, then have team members write in the top priorities for each team the are part of.
Following from this there may be a series of instructions followed by a pause so people can write things down. Questions/instructions could include
- Write down the top 5 priorities for this team (this quarter, this year, this month)
- Think about the leader of this team. What are the issues you need to report on? When do these need to be reported? To what level of detail do issues need to be communicated? What structures are there to support you around this?
- How often does this team meet?
- What ways do you connect with the team?
- What type of conversations are important to have with members of each team?
- What are the specific conversations you need to have? With whom?
- What feedback would you like to ask from each team member?
- What feedback do you want to provide to others?
- What else is important to note?
Potentials Realized | Coaching Team Leaders
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats.
Follow us on Twitter @Teams365