Another significant focus in our work is on supporting leaders to develop enhanced coaching skills. The ability to deeply listen to what your staff is saying, and ask questions to help prompt new awareness, insights and connection. That's the impetus to head back to a post from February 2017 entitled 20 Coaching Questions for your next conversation. These are questions you may want to incorporate into upcoming conversations. Notice their impact.
Here's what I wrote last year in Teams365 #778:
For more than a decade now I’ve had the privilege of running coaching skills training - for leaders, professional coaches, HR professionals and trainers. Regardless of the context they have been within one of he core skills for coaches to develop is the art of the powerful question;
One activity which can be useful tis to develop a list of questions which you can use in upcoming conversations. While you would never use all these at one tie, here’s 20 of my favorite:
- What’s the most important goal you are working on right now?
- What’s really important about that
- What could get in the way?
- What additional supports would help you be successful?
- What perspective are you in around x?
- What’s another perspective around that?
- What else?
- 3 adjectives that describe….
- If you were to make one change that made the biggest difference, what would it b?
- If you were to do something in the next 24 hours, what would that be?
- What impact would it have?
- What’s aligned?
- What’s not aligned?
- What would “wild Success” look like?
- What will help you focus?
- What’s our vision?
- What’s at the core?
- What is really important?
- Who is an ally for you in this?
- Imagine it is now 5 months down the road. How will be you know you have been successful?
Notice the impact of these questions as you go out and have dialogue with your team and/or peers.
Have a great Friday,
Potentials Realized | Coaching Team Leaders
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats.
Follow us on Twitter @Teams365
Connect with us to be the first to know more about launch events around my newest book - Effective Virtual Conversations - coming out later this summer.