For many years I was a virtual team leader – almost 13 years to be exact – and while I don’t miss all the travel I used to do there is something that is very liberating to have all the essentials you need, and nothing more, during travel. It’s been fun instilling this “just the essentials” with my son who is now at the perfect age for travel in grade six.
Here’s my mini-checklist for some of the essentials I always ensure I have on hand while I travel and work remote:
- Key files loaded onto a USB key – and others in the cloud or dropbox so I can access it.
- Fully charged devices – mini-size for travel. I usually pack my Surface when I travel which does all the heavy lifting I need without the weight and headaches of carting in and out of my briefcase
- At least 3 pens in strategic locations
- A pared down wallet/pouch which I carry my core documents with (cards, currencies and passport). I switched to a new brightly colored one this trip, making it easier for my aging eyes to spot and keep an eye on
- A small nylon foldable bag (useful for any purchases or small shopping trips). I usually don’t take a purse on trips to expand my carry on allowance to a briefcase and a roll on suitcase, so the nylon bag serves many purposes –including my evening going out to dinner bag
- A battery charger – booster for emergency power supply
- A full set of charging cords in their own pouch (with the battery charger, usb key and any other core electronic items
- Clothes – in a selection of mix and match and usually light weight. This time we shifted to packing our clothes in smaller compression pouches which really maximized packing space, allowing for some purchases at our destination!
- Any paper files I need in plastic waterproof file folders or portfolios. Finding durable folder pouches is key and when you do find them, buy a set in a different colors – having a color code system which works for you so that you know you can put your hands on things quickly is key!
What items do you like to have on hand for your travels or working mobile?
Have a great start to your week!