So how do we build trust? First, it's not a one off activity. Trust develops over time within a team. It's about a series of activities and consistent actions. Trust is supported by knowing each other, being clear with each other, and following through on what you say you will do.
There are a range of different activities which we can undertake with teams to help them boost trust, comign at it from different angles such as : Building connection with each other, to gaining clarity around expectations, and behaviors.
Some of my favorites include:
* Patrick Lencioni's Personal Histories Activity - Check out his Five Dysfunctions of A Team Field Book for this one
* Helping the team gain clarity around the goals they are going to focus on using a one-page plan
* Personal Logos - Having poeple create a logo which represents what they uniquely bring to the team
* Developing a team charter or code of conduct. How do we want to work together? This code of conduct/charter becomes the norms that guide behavior and what is acceptable and not acceptable on the team. This clarity and consistency of behavior helps to build trust as people "walk the talk"
* Having dialogue around the question - What can you be counted on for? OR What are we committed to, no matter what?
For more ideas on building trust check out these past Teams365 posts.
You may also want to check out Teams365 #610: Four Ways to Build Trust in Your Team
Have a great Wednesday,
Jennifer Britton, MES, CPT, PCC
Author of From One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching(Jossey-Bass, 2013) and Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2010)
Team and Leadership Development | Coaching | Retreats
Join me for a fall team leader group coaching program - More information at CoachingTeamLeaders.com
Contact us and let us know how we can support you in helping your team reach its' full potential - (416)996-8326