So, what can you do if you are faced with toxic communication in your workplace:
1. Set expectations about communication and behavior within the team.
2. When tpxic communication does happen be direct and address it right away. Many new leaders don't respond quickly enough. With toxicity it is important to address right away.
3 With the team, create shared agreements about what behavior is acceptable and what is not
4. Continue to build opportunities for individuals to consider the impact of their actions on others
5. When issues do emerge with a team member, take issues offline. Provide constructive feedback in private with each team member not in front of everyone else.
6. Positively reinforce positive changes, and continue to point to areas that aren't meeting the shared agreements
With best wishes,
Jennifer Britton, MES, PCC, CPT
Potentials Realized - Leadership and Team Development, Coaching, Retreats
Author of Effective Group Coaching (Wiley, 2010) and From One to Many: Best Practices for Team and Group Coaching (Jossey-Bass, 2013)
Email us to find out how we can support you and your team in getting your best results through coaching, training or a retreat program