Today we see this exponentially whether it's Death by Meeting or Death by Conference call. Effective Meetings.com pose some interesting stats from the late 1990s of people attending up to 60plus meetings a month, with 50% of that time being wasted.
Think about it for yourself -
how many meetings have you attended so far this month?
How much more time do you see yourself in meetings?
What is the "quality" of these meetings?
How have they supported you in getting your work done or moving your mission forward?
The Muse has a great infographic which updates meeting status for 2015 - you can view the article and infographic here.
Fascinating facts are quoted:
Mid level managers spend up to 35% of their time in meeting, higher level execs up to 50%, at a cost of $37 Billion a year, with 25 Million meetings being held every day!
In meetings you will want to avoid these meeting management faux-paus I mentioned in Teams365 #211. To make your meetings - virtual or not more effective, consider these
- Have a plan for the meeting and circulate it before so people come prepared, know that they need to be there, and can also indicate who should be there.
- Keep to time.
- Make sure you do follow-through on responsibilities and next steps. Avoid the pitfall of spending all your time looping back on this.
- Consider what roles will help the meeting keep moving - chair, time keeper, note taker etc.
- Always ask yourself:
1. Who needs to be here?
2. How much time do we need?
3. What is the outcome and next steps?
Have a great start to your week! Let us know if you have been able to integrate these questions into your work this week. Also enjoy a reminder of one of our earlier cartoons - Keeping Meetings on Track (originally published on August 7, 2014 - Teams365 #219)
Potentials Realized - Leadership | Teamwork | Coaching Skills Training for Leaders
Supporting Team Leaders One Conversation at a Time(TM)